Indian Immunologicals was setup by The National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) in 1982, as its unit, with the objective of making Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) vaccine available to farmers at an affordable price. The unit was corporatized as Indian Immunologicals Limited in the year 1999. The technology for FMD vaccine manufacture was obtained from the Wellcome Foundation, UK. The plant in Hyderabad has a capacity to make 360 million trivalent doses of FMD vaccine.
IIL is the market leader in veterinary biologicals in India and operates one of the largest plants in the world for veterinary vaccines. IIL is also the third largest animal health player in India with the largest selling brand – Raksha FMD Vaccine. With depth in marketing throughout the country and reaching out to the smallest of the livestock keepers, many products of IIL occupy top slots in the market.
IIL started manufacturing human vaccines in 1998 at the specific request of the Government of India. IIL is the second company in the world and first in India to launch the purified Vero cell rabies vaccine (PVRV) with the brand – Abhayrab. This led to the discontinuation of use of the older and unsafe sheep brain vaccine (also termed nerve tissue vaccine – NTV) in the Country.
IIL is a major player in the human vaccine market in India, focusing on the pediatric and rabies vaccine segments. HBI’s unique marketing concepts such as Abhay Clinics (one stop vaccination centres) and Abhay Shoppe (vaccine on call service) have helped create a strong retail presence. IIL is also a major supplier of pediatric vaccines to India’s large Universal Immunization Programme.
IIL pursues not only the mandate of NDDB to provide products and services to enhance the quality of livestock in the country, but also utilizes its technological capabilities for the benefit of the people.
Values and beliefs
- We believe that a technology driven, value based, competitive organization can alone succeed in the global market.
- We believe in providing affordable products with high quality through continuous technical innovations and improvements to satisfy our customers.
- We believe in teamwork, networking, continuous learning and development in our organization.
- We value competence, merit and excellence in our people.
- We value honesty, integrity and fairness in all our dealings.
- We value mutual trust, transparency, openness and professionalism in our dealings.